Quemahoning Tunnel may have never been built by the Pennsylvanina Turnpike
Commission, but it still has a history unto itself. Originally planned
to carry rail along the South Penn Railway, the tunnel never saw any trains
until 1909 when a small line named the Pittsburgh, Westmoreland & Somerset
began utilizing it. The use was brief and by 1916 the PW&S no
longer abandoned the facility. Twenty-some years later, the newly
formed Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission considering using the abandoned
tunnel, in fact it was shown on some original plans. However, the
PTC decided against using it, and the tunnel has continued to sit empty.
The eastern portal
of the Quemahoning Tunnel is easily accessible from the PA Turnpike.
The portal is located at mile 106.3 along the westbound roadway.
It is one of the many 'What Could Have Been's?' of the Pennsylvania Turnpike.
Below, Bill Symons shares photos take in late Fall of 1986 of the eastern
portal of the Quemahoning and how close it does sit from the highway.
Looking into the entrance
of the eastern portal. (Symons, 1986)
The entrance is slightly
hidden from view to those on the westbound pike. However, it sits
relatively close to the modern highway.
Return To The PA
Turnpike Collection Index
Breezewood in The
Fall; The Abandoned PA Turnpike in Fulton County as seen through the lens
of Bernie Newman
St. John's Church
Lehigh Tunnel Construction
Vintage PA Turnpike
Stanton Interchange Ramps
Sources & Links:
Turnpike @ PAHighways.com ---Jeff Kitsko
Penn Railroad Right of Way
Turnpike Commission Homepage
Page Created: November 26, 2002
Last Updated: September 28, 2003
(C) 2002-03 Adam Prince