over a century, the Sunnybank Ferry has carried travelers over the Little
Wicomico River in Northumberland County. The ferry first began operation
in 1903 as a hand-pulled cable ferry over the Little Wicomico. Nearly
a decade later, in 1912, the human powered ferry would be replaced by a
motorized one. The A.L.E. -- named after ferry operator's Jynes Crabbe's
children, Arley, Lois, and Elmer -- would carry horse and wagon and later
automobiles until 1954 when the vessel was destroyed by Hurricane Hazel.
In 1955, a new ferryboat was commissioned, and it was appropriately named,
The Hazel. The Hazel was retired in 1985 by the Northumberland, which
is still in use today. (1)
Today, the Sunnybank Ferry continues to carry locals, bicyclists, and curious tourists from one bank of the Little Wicomico to the other. The ferry generally operates from dawn to dusk with the exception to inclement weather, higher than normal tides, or repairs to the Northumberland. The ferry is operated by VDOT and is free of charge.
|The south landing of the Sunnybank Ferry. To get the attention of the ferry operator, just blow your horn.||Seagulls hanging out at the ferry's southern landing.||Now on the ferry and exiting the southern landing.|
|From afar, the northern landing of the Sunnybank Ferry.||A distant look across the Little Wicomico to the ferry's southern landing.||Boating is a family tradition on the Little Wicomico.|
Sources & Links:
Page Created: November 26, 2006
© 2006 William Lawson